I'm all for mitigation and push hard for it, writing legal declarations
seeking to get leaders to pay attention to the issue and the law, pushing
for going after short-lived species in the near term as well and personally
investing in and encouraging development of green technologies--but then we
get the supposedly green Obama Administration offering public lands for
extensive coal mining, permission for drilling for oil off the US East coast
and in the Arctic, and claiming the action to limit emissions from
coal-fired power plants is some remarkable step (it is turning out, it
seems, it will be easily accomplished).

As for Alan's list, aside from it basically being based on a large scale
implementation that assumes that mitigation won't work--and the particular
implementation not in any way being optimized to minimize adverse impacts
(in particular, I think that stratospheric aerosol injection may well be
among the least optimal approaches), I'd urge reading the reports from the
World Bank on what the world will be like at 4 C  in 2100, which is where we
are headed (see
http://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/climatechange/publication/turn-down-the-he
at-climate-extremes-regional-impacts-resilience). No doubt climate
engineering won't be perfect, but the alternative situation is, in my view,
far, far worse, and what matters, in my view, is the comparative assessment.
We are not talking about doing climate engineering as a general good or bad
in a situation with a stable climate--of course, in that case, the answer
would be a clear No. We are talking about being on a path to incredible
disruption of the planetary system. I am all for mitigation, efficiency,
resilience, enhanced carbon uptake and every alternative except climate
engineering, but given the way the nations are presently being so
inconsistent in their commitments, I fear that climate engineering may well
prove to be, by good measure, needed to get the world onto a less bad
pathway. The key issue for me is that we're likely to wait so long to be
considering and implementing it that it will be too late and that sudden
invocation of solar radiation management will not be able to halt the most
impactful trends (e.g., rising sea level), so the benefit will be relatively
minimal.

Perhaps what we can agree on, at least, is that we should all be protesting
the actions of this Administration in its all-in energy strategy--that is a
path to a disastrous outcome.

Mike