Dear Mike and Jon,

I agree with Jon.

And Mike, I think you are ignoring all the unsolvable problems with geoengineering (considering only stratospheric aerosols - the most likely option). First, it looks like the aerosols will grow as more SO2 is injected. As Niemeier and Timmreck (2015) found, "[A] solar radiation management strategy required to keep temperatures constant at that anticipated for 2020, whilst maintaining ‘business as usual’ conditions, would require atmospheric injections of the order of 45 Tg(S)/yr which amounts to 6 times that emitted from the Mt. Pinatubo eruption each year."

Niemeier U., and C. Timmreck, 2015: What is the limit of stratospheric sulfur climate engineering? /Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss./, *15*, 10,939–10,969.

And how will you deal with everyone of these risks? From Robock (2014), updated:

_Benefits___

_Risks___

1.Reduce surface air temperatures, which could reduce or reverse negative impacts of global warming, including floods, droughts, stronger storms, sea ice melting, land-based ice sheet melting, and sea level rise

1.Drought in Africa and Asia

2.Perturb ecology with more diffuse radiation

3.Ozone depletion

4.Continued ocean acidification

5.Will not stop ice sheets from melting

6.Impacts on tropospheric chemistry

2.Increase plant productivity

7.Whiter skies

3.Increase terrestrial CO2sink

8.Less solar electricity generation

4.Beautiful red and yellow sunsets

9.Degrade passive solar heating

5.Unexpected benefits

10.Rapid warming if stopped

11.Cannot stop effects quickly

12.Human error

13.Unexpected consequences

14.Commercial control

15.Military use of technology

16.Societal disruption, conflict between countries

17.Conflicts with current treaties

18.Whose hand on the thermostat?

19.Effects on airplanes flying in stratosphere

20.Effects on electrical properties of atmosphere

21.Environmental impact of implementation

22.Degrade terrestrial optical astronomy

23.Affect stargazing

24.Affect satellite remote sensing

25.More sunburn

26.Moral hazard – the prospect of it working would

reduce drive for mitigation

27.Moral authority – do we have the right to do this?

Robock, Alan, 2014: Stratospheric aerosol geoengineering. /Issues Env. Sci. Tech./ (Special issue “Geoengineering of the Climate System”), *38*, 162-185.

Don't you think that the more we look at geoengineering, the more it is clear that it will not be a solution, and the more imperative mitigation is? I agree that Obama, who is the best President ever on this subject, could be doing much more. This just means he needs more pushing, and the Chinese and Indians need to agree to take strong steps. We're certainly not there yet, but let's not tell them that geoengineering will give them an out.

Alan

Alan Robock, Distinguished Professor
  Editor, Reviews of Geophysics
  Director, Meteorology Undergraduate Program
Department of Environmental Sciences             Phone: +1-848-932-5751
Rutgers University                                 Fax: +1-732-932-8644
14 College Farm Road                  E-mail: rob...@envsci.rutgers.edu
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8551  USA     http://envsci.rutgers.edu/~robock
                                          http://twitter.com/AlanRobock
Watch my 18 min TEDx talk at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsrEk1oZ-54