On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 11:06 AM, Ken Caldeira
<kcalde...@gmail.com<mailto:kcalde...@gmail.com>> wrote:

I think of carbon dioxide removal as a form of mitigation and of solar
geoengineering as an extreme form of adaptation.

I find the characterization of CDR as "mitigation" as both inaccurate and
ill-advised in the context of discussion of geoengineering as a climate policy
option. A working definition of the term mitigation, from the UNFCCC
Secretariat, is "efforts to reduce or prevent emission of greenhouse gases;"
CDR approaches do not, by definition, reduce or prevent GHG emissions; rather,
they attempt to sequester emissions once they are released. The consequences of
this create a fundamentally different situation on the ground than processes
that prevent release of emissions. For example, the work of Tim Searchinger and
others demonstrate that production of feedstock for BECCS  may simply result in
displacement of other carbon reservoirs to compensate for the loss of food and
forest stocks to meet bioenergy demands. As a consequence, atmospheric
concentrations of CO2 may not decrease, or might even increase. That's a far
different result than what would occur in terms of true mitigation approaches,
such as fuel-switching, or a rapid transition to renewables.

Moreover, BECCS could require 20-25% of net primary productivity to be
operationalized on a large-scale. Additionally, the fact that CDR approaches
don't "mitigate" emissions means that said emissions have to be sequestered,
which has potentially serious implications in terms of things e.g. groundwater
integrity, or the CO2 may be utilized for enhanced oil recovery, potentially,
according to the EPA,  producing 3x as much oil as current U.S. reserves. This
could result in carbon lock-in for decades to come. This isn't "mitigation" in
even the most extremely attenuated conception of the term.

Don't get me wrong; given our feckless response to climate change, I support
CDR research, and potentially, deployment. However, I think it's unfortunate
that we portray this as "mitigation." Therein lies the creation of the bugaboo
that we know as "moral hazard." While simply characterizing climate
geoengineering as a "bridge" to a decarbonized future may not create such a
hazard, characterizing geoengineering as actual "mitigation" assuredly could.

Dr. Wil Burns
Co-Executive Director, Forum for Climate Engineering Assessment
A Scholarly Initiative of the School of International Service, American
University
2650 Haste Street, Towle Hall #G07
Berkeley, CA 94720
650.281.9126 (Phone)
http://www.dcgeoconsortium.org<http://www.dcgeoconsortium.org/>

[cid:image003.png@01D1D753.0CE70860]
Blog: Teaching Climate/Energy Law & Policy,
http://www.teachingclimatelaw.org<http://www.teachingclimatelaw.org/>
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wil_burns
Skype ID: Wil.Burns
View my research on my SSRN Author page:
http://ssrn.com/author=240348