Greg,

Very glad to see your invocation of “natural CDR”, and the figure of 50% of
anthro emissions from air.

I attempted to synthesize some of the science findings on the component of
natural CDR contributed by tropical forests in a report for Prince Charles’
International Sustainability Unit,
http://www.pcfisu.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Princes-Charities-International-Sustainability-Unit-Tropical-Forests-A-Review.pdf.
 Richard Houghton et al subsequently published a paper in Nature Climate Change
which extrapolates how increased tropical forest CDR could make a significant
negative emissions contribution,
http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/v5/n12/pdf/nclimate2869.pdf.

The latter estimates the overall potential tropical forest contribution (to
2050) as 5GtC per year: comprising 1GtC from stopping emissions from
deforestation and degradation; 3GtC from current ‘gross uptake’ which must be
‘safeguarded’ if it is to continue; and 1GtC of ‘new natural CDR’ (e.g.,
afforestation, ensuring already logged forests are not logged again).

Unfortunately we mostly discuss biomass CDR in the context of BECCS. This was
also the case in AR5. This has overshadowed the potential of measures to
increase ‘natural biomass CDR’, e.g. by large-scale natural regeneration (of
forests, woodlands, grasslands, wetlands, globally). More papers, probing and
debate are urgently needed to move the pathway from neglect to prominence.

But why has it been neglected? I offer a tentative reflection, which is that it
falls between all the science and policy stools.

It is not a technology in the classical sense so understandably has not drawn
the attention of engineers; success in stimulating more CO2 removal by living
biomass requires input from ecologists and conservation biologists (e.g,
perhaps restoring seed dispersing animals where they have been locally
extirpated) who, in general, are not playing a leading role in the CDR context;
and results are hard to quantify – because of the large areas involved, and the
fact that terrestrial biomass emits as well as absorbs CO2 – aspects which
undoubtedly deter policy-makers.

Additionally, we have confusion over ‘natural regeneration’ as a CDR pathway.
Is it anthropogenic, or non-anthropogenic? The default assumption has most
probably been that natural regeneration is, er, natural, and therefore
non-anthropogenic and therefore not relevant to CDR discussions. But in reality
large-scale natural regeneration is only going to happen because of human
agency, e.g. the creation and maintenance of a protected area.

We already have some good data on the correlation of protected areas and carbon
storage, see Scharlemann et al,
https://mercury.ornl.gov/metadata/ornldaac/daac_citations/2010/scharlemann_etal_GLOBAL-GRIDDED-SURFACES.pdf
 so making the science case should be doable.

Bernard
www.mercerenvironment.net<http://www.mercerenvironment.net>