      From: R. T. Pierrehumbert <phys1...@nexus.ox.ac.uk>
 To: Greg Rau <gh...@sbcglobal.net>
Cc: "bmer...@mercerenvironment.net" <bmer...@mercerenvironment.net>;
"andrew.lock...@gmail.com" <andrew.lock...@gmail.com>; geoengineering
<geoengineering@googlegroups.com>; Andrew Revkin <rev...@gmail.com>;
"cla...@onid.orst.edu" <cla...@onid.orst.edu>; Oliver Morton
<olivermor...@economist.com>; Oliver Morton <omeconom...@gmail.com>
 Sent: Monday, September 5, 2016 4:57 AM
 Subject: Re: [geo] Scientists Focused on Geoengineering Challenge the
Inevitability of Multi-Millennial Global Warming

Actually, there has been plenty of discussion of using oceans as a place to
sequester CO2.  However, injecting liquid CO2 into the deep ocean does bad
things to bottom ecosystems.  One of the more interesting proposals is to
inject the CO2 in pore space in marine sediments.  The hold-up there seems to
be lack of knowledge of the amount of pores space available, but I think the
idea is still live. Note that simply injecting CO2 into the deep ocean (as
opposed to sequestering it in sediments)  only accelerates the equilibration of
the ocean with the atmosphere. Once you go beyond the equilibrium point, the
ocean will start outgassing CO2  back into the atmosphere, though with a time
lag of several centuries to a millennium.
As for why BECCS gets most of the attention, it’s because it’s the one
technology that has fairly predictable scaling, though even there there’s the
question of how well you can capture the CO2 from the combustion in practice,
which is subject to a lot of the same engineering problems as for coal.  They
are solvable problems though, involving engineering of processes that are
basically pretty well understood. The big question about BECCS is how much
biomass you can really spare for BECCS while still feeding everybody (though if
everybody becomes vegetarian that’s less of an issue).  BECCS is just a way to
capture CO2 from the air.  It does not require that you store the CO2 on land —
you can inject it into the deep ocean or ocean sediments.
The way I look at reforestation is that it gives you a way to “take back” the
part of the carbon budget in the atmosphere/ocean that was due to
deforestation; that’s why, when I think about carbon budgets in the long term,
I usually focus on just the fossil fuel component.  Whatever you put into the
atmosphere by deforestation can (in principle) be taken  back on a century time
scale by reforestation, if there is political will to do so.  Beyond that, it
is extremely dicey to rely on an equilibrium forest to be a carbon sink.  There
is very little soil carbon that is truly recalcitrant, and most studies of
average age of soil carbon show rather little that is much older than a
century. This is a rather unsettled area of the carbon cycle, though.
—Ray