I think it would be useful to develop a scoring system for comparing CDR
approaches . One could develop a list of  the desireable attributes and a
way to score each CDR approach .
The scoring approach might involve distinquished organizations like the
Royal Society or be incorporated into the IPCC reports. Those same
approaches could reach a consensus on the attributes.
The idea is to bring rigor to what now is a set of unsubstantiated
assertions about different CDR approaches.  These usually feature the
positive aspects provided by those doing it leaving a confusing
situation that inhibits decision making. The absence of rigor creates
results that has yielded solutions that make no sense based upon what we
now know.  These include  BEECS , even worse  corn based ethanol, and I
would claim also CCS for coal plants. They all reached some political
consencus but make little if any scientific sense and will not be part of a
sustanable solution. The main point is not to be negative about the past
but to suggest moving forward what is needed is more rigor in assessing CDR
approaches if we are to have useful decisions in the future.

In any case my criteria for a successful CDR approach are
1 it can scale to remove the amount of CO2 needed ( eg amount can change so
can it adjust upward if needed )
2 the Co2 removed from the atmosphere can be sequestered safely
3 a low and ideally positive  social cost of the CDR process per tonne of
Co2 removed - social cost =  ( the cost of the technology(so called private
cost)  plus the cost/benefit of the externalities (environmental damage ,
or loss of agriculture land increase social cost while positively increased
productivity of the land or use of CO2 to generate wealth like carbon fiber
can actual reduce the social cost below the private cost) )
4 low and ideally no risk of unintended consequences when practd at large
scale (minimal ideally zero impact on other geochemical cycles.
5 low energy use , water use ,and land use  land use

One could rank order each CDR approach in each category and then rank them
overall with the lowest total the best. Note for the record I have had my
students in my class at Columbia on Closing the Carbon Cycle rank the
various approaches for years and DAC wins hands down. Now I am aware that
my involvement could certainly skew the responses that is why i want an
independent effort . The royal society did this many years ago and i think
it is time to update it.

Most importantly if the scientific community remains fractured as it
currently is on this issue than progress is unlikely. If it self imposes a
discipline and a candor ( eg about BECCS annd Corn Based  Ethanol) than
there is a possibility a scientific consensus will emerge.  If we do not do
it nobody will.

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 3:22 PM, Greg Rau <gh...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Agreed, but the issue is how does that and other important ideas get into
> CDR policy, roadmapping and PR while seemingly more complex yet limited
> approaches like BECCS take center stage - better marketing, lobbyists?
> Granted, BECCS generates negative emissions energy, but there are other
> methods of doing this, including some that don't rely on biology. Given the
> circumstances, do we really have the luxury of  ignoring any of these until
> they are proven (rather than assumed to be) irrelevant?
> Greg Rau

CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION: This email message and all attachments contain
confidential and privileged information that are for the sole use of the
intended recipients, which if appropriate applies under the terms of the
non-disclosure agreement between the parties.