Poster's note: I'm working in this field, and the divide between liberals
and conservatives is discussed in my paper.
journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1461452916659830

Climatic Change <https://link.springer.com/journal/10584>

August 2017, Volume 143, Issue 3–4
<https://link.springer.com/journal/10584/143/3/page/1>, pp 321–336
The influence of learning about carbon dioxide removal (CDR) on support for
mitigation policies

   - Authors
   <https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10584-017-2005-1#authors>
   - Authors and affiliations

<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10584-017-2005-1#authorsandaffiliations>

   - Victoria Campbell-ArvaiEmail author <vcar...@umich.edu>
   - P. Sol Hart
   - Kaitlin T. Raimi
   - Kimberly S. Wolske

   -
      -
   <vcar...@umich.edu>
   -
      -
   -
      -
   -
      -
      -

   1. 1.
   2. 2.
   3. 3.
   4. 4.
   5. 5.

Article
First Online: 28 July 2017
<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10584-017-2005-1#article-dates-history>

   - 44Shares

<http://www.altmetric.com/details.php?citation_id=22932693&domain=link.springer.com>

   - 201Downloads

Abstract

A wide range of carbon dioxide removal (CDR) strategies has been proposed
to address climate change. As most CDR strategies are unfamiliar to the
public, it is unknown how increased media and policy attention on CDR might
affect public sentiment about climate change. On the one hand, CDR poses a
potential moral hazard: if people perceive that CDR solves climate change,
they may be less likely to support efforts to reduce carbon emissions. On
the other hand, the need for CDR may increase the perceived severity of
climate change and, thus, increase support for other types of mitigation.
Using an online survey of US adults (*N* = 984), we tested these competing
hypotheses by exposing participants to information about different forms of
CDR. We find that learning about certain CDR strategies indirectly reduces
support for mitigation policies by reducing the perceived threat of climate
change. This was found to be true for participants who read about CDR in
general (without mention of specific strategies), bioenergy with carbon
capture and storage, or direct air capture. Furthermore, this risk
compensation pattern was more pronounced among political conservatives than
liberals—although in some cases, was partially offset by positive direct
effects. Learning about reforestation, by contrast, had no indirect effects
on mitigation support through perceived threat but was found to directly
increase support among conservatives. The results suggest caution is
warranted when promoting technological fixes to climate change, like CDR,
as some forms may further dampen support for climate change action among
the unengaged.
Electronic supplementary material

The online version of this article (doi:10.1007/s10584-017-2005-1
<https://doi.org/10.1007/s10584-017-2005-1>) contains supplementary
material, which is available to authorized users.