With respect to climate, the idea that mitigation alone is a full solution
to the carbon problem is what is "insane", "delusional", and a "serious
deadend". Our current trajectory unequivocally commits us to CDR
geoengineering at the very least, and the IPCC is (finally as of the latest
assessment) in agreement on this: 1.5 degrees is almost certainly
impossible without large-scale CDR, and 2 degrees is very likely impossible
without it. As for peak-shaving and preventing the worst effects of climate
change with SRM geoengineering, that remains an open debate. I am assuming
that Attenborough, Gore, and McKibben are thinking primarily of SRM when
they are casting aspersions on geoengineering. But lets see if they still
say it is an insane, delusional, and fascist idea when Florida, Beijing,
etc. start to disappear underwater in the 2040s...