Hi Andrew,

I personally don’t see this as a problem (and I’ve worked a bit with Wake on
question).  The direct costs of getting stuff to the stratosphere are not going
to be the long-term barrier to deployment (and might not even be the biggest
costs of deployment, assuming one needs to build more satellite observational
capability, and ignoring the question of compensation/liability for perceived
harms).

What it does mean is that there is no instant-response capability (with
aircraft, at least); one would need at least 3 years and a pile of $$ (few
billion more likely) to develop an aircraft between a decision to deploy and
the first aircraft (and more time before generating serious radiative forcing).
 This guarantees a bit of built-in caution both in starting, and in ramping up
any deployment.

Depending on one’s perspective, that could either be a problem or a benefit; I
happen to lean to the latter category with the belief that the benefit of
built-in caution outweighs the risks of not having capability for an instant
response, though I understand that others may disagree with me on that.

Note that your options (A) and (B) are effectively identical.  Probably cheaper
to start with a new fuselage if you’re going to re-wing and re-engine.

Note also that Wake’s conclusion from talking to the aircraft manufacturers is
that there is no problem with the mission statement; it is easy to achieve,
it’s just that no-one has needed to do this before and so no-one has built an
aircraft that can do it.  That is pretty important to know.  Also important is
the estimate that a new aircraft would take ~3 years from putting the money
down to having the first one (this is a lot simpler than a 787).  If that
number was 10 years, I would agree that it was a big problem…

doug