To reply specifically with likely issues :

AFAIK the liquid/gas column behaviour in the balloon pipe is problematic.
Hugh Hunt (cc) has, I believe, worked on this aspect of the viability. The
adiabatic cooling causes a temperature reduction, as the hydrostatic
pressure drops. This requires heating to a problematic temperature.

Rail guns are problematic for a range of reasons, not least their lack of
development. They are highly prone to wear, and aren't particularly suited
to launching large payloads. I've worked on gas guns, which have more
suitable performance characteristics.

Generally, I don't take the view that engineering is trivial. I think we
should engineer early, and with the same enthusiasm as we apply to other
aspects. Engineering is trivial when it's done, not when it isn't.