Dear Doug
I am trying to understand what in my responses is causing this confusion .

To try and be clear

1 prioritization generally and certainly in
my use of the term does NOT mean only the highest priority gets funded
2 I support 100 % doing work on SRM as defined by the experts in that field as
well as of course mitigation and adaptation efforts not to mention renewable
energy

I assume you do not disagree with the above

I then assert that CDR is necessary to address the threat of catastrophic
climate change while all the others except for renewable energy are important
but in principle , not what I am advocating , we can address the threat with
CDR and renewable energy .

I only make this point because the importance of CDR for addressing the threat
we face is for  many reasons been distorted in the policy debate . SRM is being
debated on issues that are reasonable by the experts
and have solid people advocating it in the public square . This is a good thing
.
However DAC has no voice in the public square and its perception is distorted
by the lack of support even denigration by experts not themselves doing it .

So my only request is that rather than SRM advocates argue that the failure of
CDR is a basis for doing SRM that they advocate that SRM without CDR is not a
sustainable solution and thus support a vigorous CDR effort as part of their
argument  .

More generally I am asking all those who are concerned about the threat we face
to ask the question about the non CDR approach they are advocating whether it
can succeed
if their is not a successful CDR effort as well

As I have stated many times I believe this distortion in the perception of CDR
generally and DAC in particular is a very serious issue
I my view the science clearly says every year we delay achieving the CDR
capacity we will
need to reduce the co2 levels below those considered risky for catastrophic
climate change increases the risk of unspeakable destruction that could be
avoided

Thus all I am asking which I hope others would agree with is for us to take the
steps to rectify the misperceptions associated with DAC and then let the
stakeholder policy community decide what to do

Right now all our plans and efforts do not include a path to a solution . Those
efforts should continue but we all need to advocate with high priority that the
CDR /DAC option
 be pursued. If we do not I guarantee that future generations will judge our
collective efforts harshly . This is not an academic debate . The outcome of
our decisions as experts will have consequences

I hope of course you and others also agree with the above .  I also hope we can
continue a respectful debate if you disagee

Peter

Sent from my iPhone