Dear Wil--A couple more things:

1. Pinatubo is not the only volcanic situation we have. Santer et al suggest that a series of small volcanic eruptions contributed to the slowdown in warming in the first decade of the century--and no one noticed the effects of the small volcanic eruptions, they just kept the temperature from going up as fast as it might have. In some sense these were like continuous injections. These kinds of things can be studied with models available today to get a real sense of how this all might work.

2. I don't understand where this 6-7 C potential termination shock occurs (especially in a couple of decades). If we let the GHG forcing to grow to a level that would lead to 6-7 C warming without SRM, we'll be headed to an equilibrium SL rise of order 50+ meters.

3. On this issue of the temperature to aim for, we are currently up about 1 C, and pretty clearly we don't want to go back to the 19th century in that adaptation has to occurred to somewhere in between, so perhaps 0.5 C or a bit below was in the mid-20th century, so before major impacts were evident. Now, natural variability (including volcanoes and solar) has a range of several tenths of a degree, so we'd be varying around mid 20-th century or so, and we don't have to really be refining to some exact value--getting the temperature back into the range is what is wanted, so I just don't see what this big argument is going to be about what level to go to. And we can iterate as we go along as the time constant for our injections will likely be a couple of years at most for stratospheric injection, not the millennial scale of CO2.

It sure seems as if you are painting the worst possible situation for SRM and the rosiest possible ones for not doing it--my personal view is that the situation is really the other way around. What lies ahead without SRM is likely to be worse than we think (in some sense this would just continue what has been happening with a wide range of changes occurring sooner than projected) and I just don't think the situation with SRM is near as bad as you suggest.

We all agree to do as much efficiency, mitigation, and carbon removal as can be done, but the present temperature path projects global average temperature headed to over 3 C before being slowly pulled back to 1.5-2 C or so. But we really need to shave off that peak and get back to roughly 0.5 C relatively quickly to keep impacts to a minimum.

Best, Mike M