Alan, many thanks for posting this.

Andrew, shouldn’t people in developing countries be the ones to decide
whether or not they research SRM? In SRMGI’s workshops across the Global
South participants have been opposed to SRM deployment at this stage and
concerned that developing countries might not get a say in decisions about
SRM, but there has also be a high level of support for local scientists to
research the impacts that SRM might have. People have given a number of
reasons for this. Common ones include: expertise in modelling the regional
environment; a sensitivity to the climate impacts that matter most locally;
a desire to keep the SRM debate focused on the most vulnerable people and
countries, supporting science diplomacy so that there are strong global
academic networks that could inform any international negotiations over
SRM; the desire to build up SRM expertise so that, for instance, Kenyan
policymakers are advised by Kenyan experts. All of these seem like good
reasons to me. See also the Comment
<https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-03917-8> published in Nature
today for a longer take on why developing countries should be centrally
involved in SRM research.

None of this argues against your idea of global SRM research centres, but I
don’t see local impact analysis and global centres as mutually exclusive.
Wouldn’t any global research centres be stronger if they could be staffed
by researchers from across the world who were already experienced in
analysing the impacts of SRM?

Andy