Dear Andrew,

as I stated before, I have some doubt about observed relationships between cosmic ray and cloudiness and if real, the physics is very unclear. However I do not understand your post. If there is such an effect, then why would you want to shot these particles downward from space rather than upward from the surface. The objective would be to increase low-level cloudiness, wouldn't it ?

Regards,
Olivier
There appears to be some confusion here in terms of the numbers to use. Most of the particles are atomic nuclei (overwhelmingly hydrogen). These are therefore charged, and thus are substantially attenuated by the earth's magnetic field. I've been unable to determine the extent, from a quick Google.

Furthermore, a proportion of scattering attenuation occurs in the high atmosphere, where it's too dry to produce clouds. It may therefore be more effective to use lower-flying aircraft, which are less lossy by this mechanism - although they may have very limited beam range. Nevertheless, Google's project Loon shows that mass production of non-high altitude balloons is at least worthy of consideration - numbers can potentially overwhelm range disadvantages.

Finally, there's the issue of energy distribution. I've been unable to find a source that links particle energy to cloud CCN. The number peak at 0.3GEv may not be representative of an efficacy peak. Certainly, highly energetic particles are disproportionately effective, but it's not clear whether their numerical rarity makes them irrelevant, overall. There are significant technical issues with producing high-energy particles in orbit. Individual particles are travelling at near light speed, and they experience significant relativistic effects. It therefore requires serious infrastructure to produce them. That's impractical for a satellite. However, intermediate energy accelerators could be mounted on 747-type platforms, and full sized accelerators could be land based. One problem with very high energy particles is that they're *individually* dangerous. The highest energy particles have the energy of a baseball travelling at nearly 100kmh. You can't go shooting those at airliners.

Further thoughts welcome.

Andrew