Poster's note: vital for integration of CDR and SRM

Sensitivity of atmospheric CO2 growth rate to observed changes in
terrestrial water storage

   - Vincent Humphrey
   <https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0424-4#auth-1>,
   - Jakob Zscheischler
   <https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0424-4#auth-2>,
   - […]
   - Sonia I. Seneviratne
   <https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0424-4#auth-6>

*Nature*volume 560, pages628–631 (2018) | Download Citation
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0424-4.ris>
Abstract

Land ecosystems absorb on average 30 per cent of anthropogenic carbon
dioxide (CO2) emissions, thereby slowing the increase of CO2 concentration
in the atmosphere1
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0424-4#ref-CR1>. Year-to-year
variations in the atmospheric CO2growth rate are mostly due to fluctuating
carbon uptake by land ecosystems1
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0424-4#ref-CR1>. The
sensitivity of these fluctuations to changes in tropical temperature has
been well documented2
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0424-4#ref-CR2>,3
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0424-4#ref-CR3>,4
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0424-4#ref-CR4>,5
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0424-4#ref-CR5>,6
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0424-4#ref-CR6>, but
identifying the role of global water availability has proved to be elusive.
So far, the only usable proxies for water availability have been
time-lagged precipitation anomalies and drought indices3
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0424-4#ref-CR3>,4
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0424-4#ref-CR4>,5
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0424-4#ref-CR5>, owing to a
lack of direct observations. Here, we use recent observations of
terrestrial water storage changes derived from satellite gravimetry7
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0424-4#ref-CR7> to investigate
terrestrial water effects on carbon cycle variability at global to regional
scales. We show that the CO2 growth rate is strongly sensitive to observed
changes in terrestrial water storage, drier years being associated with
faster atmospheric CO2 growth. We demonstrate that this global relationship
is independent of known temperature effects and is underestimated in
current carbon cycle models. Our results indicate that interannual
fluctuations in terrestrial water storage strongly affect the terrestrial
carbon sink and highlight the importance of the interactions between the
water and carbon cycles.