But Dr. Goreau, Isn't this call for soil carbon in direct conflict with
agricultural yields of carbon-rich crops? And about it being 'most
efficient'; When I think of efficiency, I think of more of some yield with
less of some input. What are, or will be, the limiting inputs going into
carbon sequestration?
Will it be dollars per ton carbon fixed, or joules of sunlight energy per
ton carbon fixed, or human lives per ton?
By the way, I noticed that William H. Schlesinger, in *Biogeochemistry: An
Analysis of Global Change*
agrees with you that calcium carbonate dissolves at ocean depths. It's
amazing to me that all the carbonates of earth must have formed on
continental shelves; that our atmosphere's CO2 concentration is so
dependent on these..

Brian