https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-72372-9_7

Geoengineering and the Question of Weakened Resolve

   - David A. Dana
      -
   - Abstract
   -
   - One of the most-discussed topics in the social science literature
   regarding geoengineering is the inter-relationship between geoengineering
   and climate change mitigation. This literature has two distinct strands.
   What we might call Strand # 1 assumes that there may be some optimal mix of
   geoengineering and mitigation from a welfare economics perspective, and
   explores what an optimal mix might be and under what conditions it might
   obtain. What we might call Strand #2 of the literature builds on the
   recognition that global mitigation efforts have been wildly sub-optimal and
   that a huge increase in mitigation efforts, as a normative matter, is
   needed for the sake of current and future generations. Strand # 2
   recognizes, too, that mitigation is not easy, it is expensive, it requires
   individual and collective changes in behavior, it poses a threat to
   entrenched, powerful economic interests, and it implicates complicated
   questions as to who exactly should bear the costs of mitigation and in what
   measure.
   -