https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-72372-9_5

A Human Rights Framework for Climate Engineering: A Response to the Limits
of Cost-Benefit Analysis
Brian Citro, Patrick Taylor Smith

Abstract

We argue that normative evaluations of climate engineering responses to
climate change have been impoverished by an excessive focus on cost-benefit
analyses. We suggest that human rights can serve as an effective foundation
for richer deliberations concerning the judiciousness of deploying climate
engineering options. This chapter proceeds in four main sections. The first
describes cost-benefit analysis, explains its role in evaluating public
policy, and lays out its limitations. Then, we develop a human rights
framework for the evaluation of climate engineering and consider how it
avoids the problems of cost-benefit analysis. Yet, the third section
describes why a human rights framework might have limited usefulness,
because it does not offer adequate action guidance when making tradeoffs
between rights or when weighing concurrent impacts on different groups. As
a reaction, in the fourth section, we develop a set of principles and
conceptual tools to revise the human rights framework so it is
more effective in cases where it is necessary to prioritize certain human
rights and evaluate impacts on different groups. We consider whether there
is a hierarchy of rights that will assist with tradeoffs, and we examine
core and periphery obligations stemming from human rights. We then consider
whether a focus on vulnerable or marginalized groups helps to weigh impacts
on different groups, and we discuss the principle of
non-retrogression. Finally, we consider an approach that combines these
ideas to address competing human rights claims and avoid narrowly construed
zero-sum games.