https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1462901121003373

Arguments and architectures: *Discursive and institutional structures
shaping global climate engineering governance*

*Miranda Boettcher, Rakhyun E. Kim*

*AbstractThe Anthropocene
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/social-sciences/anthropocene> is
giving rise to novel challenges for global environmental governance
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/social-sciences/governance>. The
barriers and opportunities shaping the ways in which some of these complex
environmental challenges become governable on the global level are of
increasing academic and practical relevance. In this article, we bring
neo-institutionalist and post-structuralist perspectives together in an
innovative framework to analyse how both institutional and discursive
structures together bound and shape the global governance
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/social-sciences/global-governance>
opportunities
which become thinkable and practicable in the face of new global
environmental challenges. We apply this framework to explore how governance
of climate engineering – large scale, deliberate invention into the global
climate system – is being shaped by discursive and institutional structures
in three international forums: The London Convention and its Protocol, the
Convention on Biological Diversity, and the United Nations Environment
Assembly. We illustrate that the ‘degree of fit’ between discursive and
institutional structures made climate engineering (un)governable in each of
these forums. Furthermore, we find that the ‘type of fit’ set the
discursive and institutional conditions of possibility for what type of
governance emerged in each of these cases. Based on our findings, we
critically discuss the implications for the future governance of climate
engineering at the global level.*