https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/01/17/climate-change-solar-geoengineering-radiation-modification-governance/

The Climate Conversation No One Wants

It’s time to talk about managing the world’s likely overshoot beyond 1.5
degrees Celsius.By Janos Pasztor, the executive director of the Carnegie
Climate Governance Initiative and the former U.N. assistant
secretary-general on climate change.

The U.N. climate change conference in Glasgow, Scotland, brought a series
of positive steps for implementing the Paris Agreement. It also
reinvigorated U.S.-China cooperation and offered opportunities for
voluntary initiatives on methane and forests. There was a whirlwind of
“net-zero” pledges made by governments and the private sector—but without
any common understanding of what this actually means and how to get there.
Leaders were keen to claim the Glasgow climate pact kept the goal of
limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels
alive, thus avoiding an overshoot of the Paris temperature goal.

Taken together, however, the Glasgow outcomes were likely too little, too
late by the only criteria for success that ultimately matters: the
atmosphere. All the pledges bandied about in Glasgow obscured a key fact:
We have likely set in motion a less stable, hotter, and more extreme
climate in our lifetime—a climate that will recast much of civilization as
we know it for future generations.

Even if all Glasgow pledges are fulfilled, we are still facing a
temperature overshoot of approximately 2 degrees Celsius. In the more
likely scenario of not all pledges being fulfilled, warming will be more:
perhaps 3 degrees Celsius. This would be catastrophic in nearly every sense
for large parts of humanity, especially the poorest and most vulnerable who
are suffering first and worst from escalating climate impacts. Extreme
weather events are becoming much more frequent, and no one will be totally
immune, as we saw with Europe’s 2021 floods and Colorado’s recent fires.

Remember this word: overshoot. It will gain increasing importance as the
herculean difficulty of reducing emissions to net zero and removing vast
stores of carbon from the atmosphere become clearer. On top of this, there
is a still greater challenge: moving to net-negative emissions thereafter,
which the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) says will also
be needed.

So how do we avoid temperature overshoot? The most urgent and important
task is to slash emissions, including in the hard-to-abate sectors (such as
air transport, agriculture, and industry), which will require substantial
lifestyle changes. Carbon dioxide remains in the atmosphere for centuries,
trapping heat like a blanket over our planet. Technologies to remove
carbon, however, are not yet at scale—and won’t be for years to come. Nor
have they been vetted by society. In other words, we are pinning our hopes
for avoiding climate chaos on a level of global political will not yet
evident and on carbon removal technologies not yet available.

Given the gravity of the crisis, some are exploring the use of emerging
techniques—solar radiation modification, commonly called solar
geoengineering—that would deliberately alter the climate. The most widely
discussed method would create a sun shield, composed of aerosols injected
into the stratosphere, that would reflect sunlight back into space and thus
quickly cool the planet. It would affect every country in the world, though
not necessarily equally, thus creating global winners and losers.

Worryingly, some might erroneously see solar radiation modification as an
easy way out, especially since cooling would occur very quickly—within a
year—and the direct cost of a technique such as aerosol injection would be
relatively cheap (between $1­ billion to $10 billion annually). This is
within the means of many countries, companies, and even wealthy
individuals. Others fear it could divert the world’s attention from doing
what it must do no matter what: slash emissions and remove massive amounts
of carbon from the sky.

Solar radiation modification can never be a substitute for mitigation, as
it does not directly address climate change’s source. At best, it might be
a supplement that could provide immediate cooling in a temperature
overshoot scenario. Some say it might buy the world more time to finish
decarbonizing economies and remove excess carbon from the atmosphere, thus
possibly helping to safeguard some sustainable development achievements and
avoid some of overshoot’s irreversible damages as well as planetary climate
tipping points.

However, as with overshoot scenarios, this technique also poses serious
potential risks, both known and unknown, for the environment, biodiversity,
and geopolitical security as well as significant ethical concerns.

Take international security, for example. Imagine if Country A began
deploying solar radiation modification seeking temperature relief for its
people, but neighboring Country B experienced a terrible drought at the
same time that may—or may not—have been provoked by using this technique.
Scientific attribution would be tricky, and the potential for
misperceptions that trigger conflict is obvious.

Another challenge is once this technique starts, it cannot be stopped
suddenly, either purposefully or by accident, as the temperature would
rapidly rise to its previous level—a sort of climate whiplash scientists
agree would devastate biodiversity.

One of the greatest risks is a current lack of governance. There are no
comprehensive international frameworks to provide global guardrails and
guidance on how this technology may (or may not) be researched and
potentially deployed. Any consideration of potential deployment would
depend on effective governance systems spanning many decades, potentially
even centuries, premised on global cooperation and goodwill the likes of
which the world has never seen before.

Let’s start with the basic questions. Who decides if this technique should
be further researched and/or used? Based on what authority and using what
evidence? Who would control the global thermostat? Would all people
impacted by its use, especially the most vulnerable, have a say? How might
society assess the risks of deploying it against the risks of not doing so?
Should we prepare the ground for such a decision now or leave it to our
children and grandchildren to decide when the climate crisis will have
deepened still further?

There are also profound ethical issues involved: Does humanity have the
right to intentionally alter the climate system? Does this not imply a
level of human hubris that far exceeds our capacity to understand something
as complicated as the global climate? And does it fall into the same type
of techno-fix-driven thinking that helped create the climate crisis in the
first place?

One might also ask the opposite questions: Do we have the right to withhold
research and possible use of solar radiation modification given it would
likely cool the planet quickly and thus benefit hundreds of millions of
people who otherwise would be suffering from extreme heat and other related
climate impacts?

Knowledge about these issues is frighteningly scant, yet decisions
policymakers may one day face will have profound consequences. We cannot
afford to put our heads in the sand. To wait is to increase the risk that,
as temperatures continue to climb, someone or some group of actors,
somewhere, some day will move without effective international governance in
place. Solar radiation modification is being researched in multiple
countries, and interest is growing, including from some of the world’s most
climate-vulnerable nations.

The world simply does not know enough at this stage, which is why it needs
governance, including broad, transparent, societal dialogues about the
potential pros, cons, and implications of this climate-altering technique.

We also need similar clear-eyed discussions about the risks and
implications of living in a world that overshoots 1.5 degrees Celsius. We
must weigh the risks of solar radiation modification against the risks of
an overheated world that will have devastating impacts for human health,
socioeconomic development, and international security for all countries—but
especially the poorest ones.

In which scenario will the world be better or worse off—and better for
whom? In which will climate justice best be served? This is the climate
policy conversation the world needs to have now, not years down the road.

Given all countries would be affected, the United Nations—an imperfect body
but one that reflects our imperfect world—is well placed to be the focus of
governance efforts. The U.N. General Assembly can debate these issues from
a cross-sectoral perspective and provide high-level guidance on potential
directions and their implications. Other U.N. bodies—such as the U.N.
Environment Assembly, the IPCC, or the U.N. Framework Convention on Climate
Change—as well as non-U.N. bodies can address different components of the
risks, benefits, and governance challenges that come with this new,
emerging technique.

COVID-19 has showed us that anticipating global risks, collaborating across
borders, and putting in place effective and agreed on global guidelines all
of us follow could have saved millions of lives and reduced overall
suffering. We have failed this test thus far. As 2022 begins and we face a
third year of the pandemic, let us not fail this test with the climate
crisis.

The world is getting warmer, and we need to start talking about how to
manage overshooting beyond 1.5 degrees Celsius, including considering the
risks presented by any potential use of solar radiation modification. These
discussions and the development of needed governance frameworks will not be
easy, but they are necessary. The sooner we have this discussion, the
better for us all.