Hi All
It is not quite accurate to say that marine cloud brightening is ‘global in
effect’.
The short life of spray and the high speed of hydrofoil spray vessels mean that
we can aim cooling at hot blobs in the ocean or El Niño events. Precision
depends on how accurately we can predict wind direction, cloud patterns and
current flow a few days ahead, as far ahead as the next rainfall which will
wash condensation nuclei back into the sea.  Fleets of spray vessels can adjust
the sea surface temperature gradient east or west across the Indian Ocean
dipole.  They can trim the pattern of temperature in sea areas around the
typhoon-affected regions several months ahead of the typhoon season aiming at
values chosen by local Governments and their insurance companies. Fleet
operators would be be paid according to how close they get to the chosen,
desirable values. We may not yet know exactly where and when we should operate
but, with satellite observations and steadily improving computer forecasting,
we can learn.
I wonder how theorists of transnational climate governance, who have not, so
far, distinguished themselves about CO2 emissions, will feel if, in future,
they get blamed for delaying research.

Stephen Salter
Emeritus Professor of Engineering Design
School of Engineering
Mayfield Road
Edinburgh EH9 3DW
0131 650 5704