I haven't laid out a scheme, I'd presume to borrow one from another old-school
project like GDAL or Proj and use that for our issue tags and issue tagging
process. Maybe Even or someone could point us to what's the state of the art in
their poject.

Really simple (but we don't use a lot blocker in GDAL or PROJ): you assign the ticket to the appropriate milestone, create a "Blocker" label and assign it to the ticket. And then you filter tickets by milestones and labels.

Something like https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues?q=is%3Aissue+label%3Ablocker+milestone%3A3.5.0

--
http://www.spatialys.com