chiming in late due to vacations.

The idea is sound and needed. I'm wondering if there's any conceptual
difference between your EPSG:0 CRS and the CRS:1 special CRS defined in
the WMS 1.3 spec (see section 6.7.2 and 6.7.3.5). If there's not we
should use CRS:1, but I think there is a difference in that CRS:1
forcedly has a 0,0 coordinate origin and yours is tied to the layer
bounds as declared by the datastore?

In any case, CRS:1 seems worth to support at some point.

excerpt:
"6.7.3.5 Geographic information with undefined CRS
A server
may offer two-dimensional geographic information whose precise spatial
reference is undefined. For example, a hand-drawn historical map may
represent an area of the Earth but not employ a modern coordinate
reference system, and an aerial photograph may not be precisely
georeferenced. Such types of graphical information shall be treated as
an image, and the Map CS label “CRS:1” shall be used when declaring the
Layer CRS of such an object. Clients should not attempt to overlay a
layer for which CRS=CRS:1 with another layer."

Cheers,
Gabriel

--
Gabriel Roldan