Hi all geoserver developers,

As a part of European Comission FI-WARE project (http://www.fi-ware.eu/)
we, here at Cyberlightning have implemented new XML3D output format for
Geoserver W3DS community module.

I have just opened new pull request (
https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/pull/517 ) for that implementation
and I would gladly have some feedback.

Current implementation includes only support for GetScene request. Scene
can be requested as a 3D model in XML3D format or as a octet-stream where
only elevation information is returned with addidional information from
grid it was generated from. XML3D part also supports externally referenced
3D objects.

We also implemented support for different LOD requests. In our definition
smallest LOD value is 1 and highest is 10. Smaller value means less
detailed model.

Due current development state of XML3D there are some restrictions how and
what can be returned from the server so that it can also be rendered in the
client side. Therefore we decided to focus our work mainly on terrain
generating. For example at the moment XML3D doesn't support drawing of
points and lines and it also lack of support for geological information
combined to model data.

Still, it is quite impressive how good looking terrain models server can
generate from simple elevation data (we used open data from National Land
Survey of Finland) and most critical shortcomings in XML3D are fairly easy
to overcome with client side logic.

We have demo server up and running at
http://dev.cyberlightning.com:9091/geoserver/ and also our demo client is
online at http://dev.cyberlightning.com/~jhyvarinen/GIS/

At the moment our demo client only support XML3D models and terrain, but
there is also hardcoded test request for octet-stream request, which prints
returned data from the server to console output.

Terrain data used in that demonstration is 324 square kilometers from
Pallas-Yllästunturi National park in Finland. There are also two optional
texture layers available and both of those are also served from the same
Geoserver instance. We have also added 3 buildings to another layer to
demonstrate external object referencing.

Client make new terrain request to server when camera moves to new area,
which is not yet loaded. Orange plane combonent is a visual hint for the
area that contains information from selected layers.

Camera is in freefly mode and it's controlled with WASD, C and space keys,
camera can be rotated with left mouse button.

Best regards,
Juha Hyvärinen / Sami Jylkkä

--
Juha Hyvärinen
Software Engineer

email. juha.hyvari...@cyberlightning.com

Go to www.cybersli.de and enrich your presentations!

www.cyberlightning.com

This e-mail and all attached material are confidential and may contain
legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender and delete the e-mail from your system without
producing, distributing or retaining copies thereof.