On 22-03-18 02:59, Jody Garnett wrote:
> We have a similar need with shape files, the presence of a sidecar SLD
> file is great way to pass styling around.
>
> At a GeoTools level I would love a way to "discover" a built-in style
> for a layer so we could make it available for either a) GeoServer Data
> Import (sadly that would just be a one time solution), or see we could
> make a placeholder in the LayerInfo (maybe with a special default style
> placeholder.
>

> GeoTools does have a per layer "info" data structure used to pass meta
> information on to the application, we could see about making the style
> available in this manner.

Hi Jody,

about sidecar SLD: if I'm correct esri products used a lyr file next to
a shapefile automatically if it had the exact same name.
QGIS is doing the same when you have a .qml (QGIS stylefile) with the
same name.
Unfortunatly that does not work (yet) with sld files (in QGIS), but it
could be a usable model... if you want to keep working with shapefiles ;-)

In case of Geopackage/Spatialite I would think a 'packaged' style could
be favoured over sld styles in Geoserver? Indeed it would be best if
GeoTools could serve this information.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde