I have thought a bit about hosting a reference implementation, if we just
host the server in read-only mode - all that is needed is a machine (which
OSGeo has offered to provide). If we host WFS-T (say to pass CITE tests) we
would also need the ability to reset the dataset after a test run. I was
thinking we could make a demo page for "cite" that could reload the data,
or a rest api endpoint.

But yeah the key impediment is someone to provide hardware, even with
OSGeo's offer we then need someone to setup the machine.

It has been really kind of first boundless and now GeoSolutions to provide
a machine for the base maps shown on the geoserver.org website.
--
Jody Garnett