You may try a final:
"strings /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 | grep LIBCXX"

To check which GLIBCXX is available on your system.
(You may also try the same against
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4/libstdc++.so)

If they are old, you can consider start thinking about building GDAL on
your machine :)

Please, let us know.
Cheers,
Daniele