Hi,
Since I see from your output that you now have GLIBCXX_3.4.14 (on Ubuntu
12.10), I would try again with the available 1.9.2 downloads.
I'm not sure about the differences between 1.9.0-3 and 1.9.2 but I think
the version you have doesn't contain the JAVA JNI counterpart which is
required to use the drivers on GeoServer.
Anyway, if you want to list the GDAL available formats, you can call
"gdalinfo --formats"

Moreover, we have also recently added some selfcontained scripts to the
available download.
They allow to do quick tests of the java bindings.
There is a javainfo folder containing a gdalinfo.sh script which invokes
the java class (by using the available java bindings) to do the same things
the standard gdalinfo app will do.

Hope this helps.
Daniele