Hi Daniele

Ubuntu server 10.04 LTS
Geoserver 2.2.4
Tomcat 6

From http://geoserver.org/display/GEOS/GeoServer+2.2.4:

GDAL extension: geoserver-2.2.4-gdal-plugin.zip
--> extracted to /var/lib/tomcat6/webapps/geoserver/WEB-INF/lib/

From
http://demo.geo-solutions.it/share/github/imageio-ext/releases/1.1.X/1.1.6/:

GDAL native libs: gdal192-Ubuntu11-gcc4.5.2-x86_64.tar.gz
 --> extracted to /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.26/jre/lib/amd64/

/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.26/jre/lib/amd64/gdalinfo --version
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.26/jre/lib/amd64/gdalinfo: error while loading shared libraries: libltidsdk.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(I've also tried the previous one, gdal1.7.3-linux64-base-gcc43.tar.gz. That doesn't work either, but didn't give the libltidsdk.so error.)

ImageIO-Ext version: from imageio-ext-1.1.6-jars.zip
--> extracted to /var/lib/tomcat6/webapps/geoserver/WEB-INF/lib/

gdal-data.zip --> extracted to /usr/local/gdal_data

/etc/environment:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.26/jre/lib/amd64/"
GDAL_DATA="/usr/local/gdal_data"

System GDAL: GDAL 1.10dev (compiled from source to add mrsid and ecw). cli gdal utilies work fine with mrsids. e.g. gdal_retile.py built a pyramid from mrsids no problem.

thanks in advance

Gavin