We have a GeoTiff with a single paletted band.   By default GetFeatureInfo
returns results containing (for example) PALETTE_INDEX = 2.0.  We'd like to
return more business-meaningful titles, such as "C‐2 Boreal Spruce".

It seems like FreeMarker templates are one way to do this (as per
https://sourceforge.net/p/geoserver/mailman/message/29891718/).  However,
we'd like to do this so that it works with ALL GetFeatureInfo response
formats, not just HTML.  In other words, the mapping needs to be done at
the FeatureType level, not just at the GetFeatureInfo response level.

Is this possible?  Perhaps by adding information to the GeoTiff itself?