HTTP PUT to

http://localhost:8080/geoserver/rest/workspaces/myworkspace/datastores/test/external.shp
with the content text/plain
file://data_dir/maps/xyz.tiff

fails with "unable to configure datastore, bad parameters. I'm
assuming this is from the .shp extension.
Changing the extension of the put url to .tiff I get

unsupported format: tiff

I've tried with a few other variants.

It looks like REST API creation of datastores is limited to shape
files. Is that correct?