Hi Alex,

try this if you have the file on your local computer:

curl -u "user:password" -XPUT -H 'Content-type: image/tiff' \
        --data-binary @"$LOCAL_GEOTIFF"\
"http://$HOSTNAME:$PORT/geoserver/rest/workspaces/$WORKSPACE/coveragestores/$STORE_NAME/file.geotiff

where variables are the following:
$LOCAL_GEOTIFF - path to the file on your local computer
$HOSTNAME, $PORT - obviously GeoServer instance hostname and port
$WORKSPACE - workspace name
$STORE_NAME - name of the datastore that will be created for your GeoTIFF

If the file is already on the server where the GeoServer runs (and the file is readable by the GeoServer process), try it like this

REMOTE_GEOTIFF="file:///path/to/your/remote/geotiff.tiff"
curl -w "%{http_code}" -u "admin:Merc4tr99" -XPUT -H 'Content-type: text/plain' \
        -d "$REMOTE_GEOTIFF"\
"http://$HOSTNAME:$PORT/geoserver/rest/workspaces/$WORKSPACE/coveragestores/$STORE_NAME/external.geotiff";

I think your confusion stems from using incorrect documentation: you have raster data, so you should read "Coverage stores" section of the manual: http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/rest/api/coveragestores.html

Data stores are for vector data (citing http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/rest/api/datastores.html ):
A data store contains vector format spatial data. It can be a file (such as a shapefile), a database (such as PostGIS), or a server (such as a /remote Web Feature Service/ <http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/data/cascaded/wfs.html#data-external-wfs>).