Kevin,

a common pattern is to deliver WMS with a simple features profile; for
example, GeoSciML has a bunch of "portrayal" schemas with type names
ending in "View". If you can resolve your property cardinality mapping,
these simple features support WMS just like any other. This can also be
a useful strategy to support WFS clients that are not able to consume
complex features. They will also be very fast.

Simple features can be served in parallel with your complex features;
for WMS these can be almost transparent, and you can even craft your
user interface to guide users back to the complex features discovered
via WMS.

Kind regards,
Ben.

--