Hi Kevin,
did you try to specify a <Geometry> element (see:
http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/styling/sld/reference/polygonsymbolizer.html#geometry)
in
your SLD document, pointing to the nested property?

Taking GeoSciML's GeologicUnit as an example, could be something along
these lines:

<Geometry>
  <PropertyName>gsml:occurrence/gsml:MappedFeature/gsml:shape</PropertyName>
</Geometry>

I'm not 100% sure it will work, but may be worth a try ;-)

Hope this helps,
Stefano

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 10:19 PM, kweis...@harris.com <kweis...@harris.com>
wrote:

> Hello Ben,
>
> Thanks for the quick response.  I see what you mean about the location of
> the spatial element within the XML response structure.  Most of our schemas
> (which I do not control) bury it a few levels deep so I don't think the
> app-schema plugin will work for us unfortunately.
>
> Thanks again for the help.
>
> Kevin M. Weiss
> Software Engineer
> CRITICAL NETWORKS / HARRIS CORPORATION
> harris.com  / kevin.we...@harris.com

Best regards,
Stefano Costa

==
Visithttp://goo.gl/it488V for more information.
==
Dott. Stefano Costa
Senior Software Engineer

GeoSolutions S.A.S.Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:     +39 0584 1660272
http://www.geo-solutions.ithttp://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003
nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate.
Il loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del
messaggio, per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora
riceviate questo messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo
cortesemente di darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla
distruzione del messaggio stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema.
Conservare il messaggio stesso, divulgarlo anche in parte,
distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od utilizzarlo per finalità
diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai principi dettati dal
D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely
for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be
confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of
privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New
Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any
disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either
dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except
previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by
telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message
that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty
or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent
messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they
were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail
transmission, viruses, etc.