Jose -

>When I try to make a POST demo request to an external server I get the
>message:
>
>"java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid url requested, the demo
>requests should be hitting: http://localhost:8080/geoserver";

I'm not sure whether this behavior has changed since previous versions of
Geoserver, so I'm not fit to answer your main question, but it should be
relatively easy to work around the problem by just forwarding the request via
e.g. PuTTy (on a Windows box) or via something like an `iptables` rule on
Linux/Unix, so the request goes to localhost first before being sent on to
another server. There's almost certainly a Java-only solution for doing the
same thing, if that's preferable.

- Patrick O'Toole

Application Developer
Wyoming Natural Diversity Database
UW Berry Biodiversity Conservation Center
Department 3381, 1000 E. University Av.
Laramie, WY 82071
P: 307-766-3018