Hi all,

we have the following problem (see below). I can try to provide a pull
request, but I need some background information:

Situation: A group layer consisting of two *cascaded* WMS layers, from
an external WMS server.

Problem: If a WMS GetCapabilities request is received a NPE occurs and
the Capabilities document is incomplete.

Reason: GS tries to determine the scale denominators for the group
layer. So it tries to analyze the Styles taking part. First: Style
defined on the group layer (=null). Second: Default Style defined on
the nested WMS (=null). The null is forwarded to the analysis -> NPE.

Question: What is the expected fix?

Just fix the NPE/avoid forwarding the "null"? That works, of course. I
am asking because during runtime there are proxy objects available as
Styles, having some Style-UUID which is apparently not existing. So
the proxies resolve to null. Should this proxy resolve to some empty
default Style instead? In this case the fix would be different, or it
might be a problem of an inconsistent data directory only. Additonally
I am quite sure the problem appeared after upgrading from GS 2.10.0 to
2.11.1

Any help is welcome!

Best regards,
Andreas