Gavin,

there is no limit in app-schema, but you might be hitting a limit in the size of the JDBC connection pool. You can increase this by using JNDI and configuring a larger number of connections.

Very recent changes should improve app-schema connection usage:

[GEOT-5748] Improve App-Schema connection usage
https://osgeo-org.atlassian.net/browse/GEOT-5748

What GeoServer version are you using?

Kind regards,
Ben.