Hi Jukka,
thanks for the explanation. I would like to add one more bit about the
meaning of the target bbox: the output
coverage must be contained in it, but it does not have to match it.
This is by specification, although it's not so clear to read:

"The result coverage shall contain only those range values of the original
coverage which lie within the effective lower and upper bound, obtained as
described."

Maybe a picture makes it more evident. Say we are just doing subsetting,
without reprojection, and the bbox is
like in this case using arbitrary positions (e.g, not perfectly matching
the original pixels).
In the following picture:

   - The squares are the original pixels
   - The dashed red rectangle is the requested area
   - The green pixels is what the server should return, e.g., not resample
   pixels to match the requested bounding box, but return the maximum set of
   pixels contained in the requested bbox instead

 [image: Inline image 1]
Regards
Andrea

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 3:24 PM, Rahkonen Jukka (MML) <
jukka.rahko...@maanmittauslaitos.fi> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> The native pixel size in UTM32N is obviously 5.00 m. UTM projection is
> using a scale factor of 0.9996 and if you convert a polygon of size 5x5 m
> (presenting one pixel) into EPSG:31467 it will grow into
> 5.0020008x5.0020008 meters.  That process is converting each pixel as they
> are without any resampling. If exact pixel size of 5 meters in EPSG:31467
> is to be achieved the data must be resampled. I would say that Geoserver is
> doing the right thing when it does minimum amount of resampling and allows
> pixel size to change. BTW. for example gdalwarp is doing the same thing and
> there are a bunch of questions about that in gis.stackexchange.
>

> Now if we consider that it is OK to have 5.0020008 pixel size in the
> output it is impossible to keep extent as  3400000, 5660000 to 3420000,
> 5680000 because you can’t fill such an area with 5.0020008x5.0020008 sized
> blocks.
>

> So if we want to keep what I consider as the most native pixel size
> 5.0020008 we can’t get exactly 3400000, 5660000 to 3420000, 5680000 as
> extent. If we want the extent to be exact we must generate 5 m sized pixels
> which means resampling because of the difference in the projections (the
> 0.9996 scale factor).
>

> I suppose it would be more clear is you re-projected data from UTM into
> EPSG:4326 because then it would be self-evident that the pixels size of the
> output is not 0.5 meters anymore because the unit is degrees.
>

> By using scaling extension you can force resampling into 5 m output pixels
> and with those you can fill your desired area 3400000, 5660000 to 3420000,
> 5680000.
>

> -Jukka-

Andrea Aime

==