Hi Ian,
what you say is very true, but a user may actually mean to delete the data.
An extra option added to the request to also drop the data contents
could be interesting, and there is optional support for it in the
underlying datastore API (various datastores do not implement it, but
database based
ones do).

Same goes for the update of attributes, it is not supported, but the
underlying datastore API has optional support for it (same as above,
database based datastore do support schema update).

Both are improvement/feature requests, so Joao can follow this guide if he
wants to have them implemented:

Cheers
Andrea

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 10:44 AM, Ian Turton <ijtur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In the same way that changes made via the REST API (or the GUI) don't
> affect your shapefiles on the disk there is no reason for changes to the
> GeoServer state to affect the tables in your database. In fact, I would be
> very angry if on deleting a  store in GeoServer my very expensive and hard
> to collect data went missing in my database.
>
> Ian
>
> On 8 February 2018 at 18:25, João Afonso <joaodiasafo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello..
>> When using REST API to create a new feature type via POST command, to a
>> given datastore properly set to postgres/postgis, geoserver successfully
>> creates the table. I pretend to update the attributes/table of objects and
>> do the corresponding update to postgis table. To do so, I use a PUT
>> request. It successfully updates geoserver XML file of feature type, but
>> the postgres table is not changed at all. Also, the geoserver log clearly
>> states, as PUT feedback, that only metadata is updated.
>> How to reflect these changes in postgis table (for instance, create a new
>> attribute/table field)? Is there something I am missing?
>> I have the same problem about rest DELETE request: I am able to delete
>> everything from geoserver, but the table keeps intact in postgres, when it
>> is supposed (I guess) to reflect the changes there as well.
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> --

>> If you want to request a feature or an improvement, also see this:
>> https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/wiki/Successfully-req
>> uesting-and-integrating-new-features-and-improvements-in-GeoServer
>>

>> Geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>>

> --
> Ian Turton

> userlist-guidelines.html
>
> If you want to request a feature or an improvement, also see this:
> https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/wiki/Successfully-
> requesting-and-integrating-new-features-and-improvements-in-GeoServer
>

> Geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Regards,

Andrea Aime

==
GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V
for more information.
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il
loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio,
per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate questo
messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di
darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio
stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso,
divulgarlo anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od
utilizzarlo per finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai
principi dettati dal D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for
the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or
proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act
(Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection
Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction,
copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is
strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
information in this message that has been received in error. The sender
does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or
completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes
made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of
e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.