Hello everyone,

An update on the issue. I am now experiencing the problem regularly, even
when adding a single account. The roles.xml keeps getting corrupted, mostly
the associations between role_id and username are lost. It only happens
when I access the roles.xml file, but it does seem random as to when it
gets corrupted or not. Therefore it is difficult for me to reproduce the
exact error. These are the steps I take:

1) GET roles.xml from: /geoserver/geofence/rest/roles
2) POST rolename to: /geoserver/geofence/rest/roles/role/ + rolename
3) POST association to: /geoserver/geofence/rest/roles/role/ + rolename +
/user/ + username

Geoserver log:

2018-02-12 09:38:00,268 INFO [security.xml] - Successful lock:
security/role/default/roles.xml.lock
2018-02-12 09:38:00,268 INFO [geoserver.security] - Start storing roles for
service named default
2018-02-12 09:38:00,389 INFO [geoserver.security] - Storing roles
successful for service named default
2018-02-12 09:38:00,389 INFO [geoserver.security] - Start reloading roles
for service named default
2018-02-12 09:38:02,842 INFO [geoserver.security] - Reloading roles
successful for service named default
2018-02-12 09:38:02,842 INFO [geoserver.security] - Adjusted last modified
for file: security/role/default/roles.xml
2018-02-12 09:38:03,520 INFO [security.xml] - Successful lock:
security/role/default/roles.xml.lock
2018-02-12 09:38:03,520 INFO [geoserver.security] - Start storing roles for
service named default
2018-02-12 09:38:03,638 INFO [geoserver.security] - Storing roles
successful for service named default
2018-02-12 09:38:03,639 INFO [geoserver.security] - Start reloading roles
for service named default
2018-02-12 09:38:05,886 INFO [geoserver.security] - Reloading roles
successful for service named default
2018-02-12 09:38:05,887 INFO [geoserver.security] - Adjusted last modified
for file: security/role/default/roles.xml
2018-02-12 09:38:06,157 INFO [geoserver.security] - Start reloading roles
for service named default
2018-02-12 09:38:08,526 INFO [geoserver.security] - Reloading roles
successful for service named default
2018-02-12 09:38:08,529 INFO [geoserver.security] - Adjusted last modified
for file: security/role/default/roles.xml
2018-02-12 09:38:08,534 INFO [geoserver.security] - Start reloading
user/groups for service named default
2018-02-12 09:38:09,613 INFO [geoserver.security] - Reloading user/groups
successful for service named default
2018-02-12 09:38:09,613 INFO [geoserver.security] - Adjusted last modified
for file: security/usergroup/default/users.xml

Looking at the log it leaves to believe it has something to do with the
.lock file. As our database keeps getting bigger, the problem arises more
often. I believe that writing the roles.xml takes a longer time if there
are more users/roles. The two POST requests are executed directly after
each other, therefore trying to access the roles.xml file before it is
completely written by the first POST request. Shouldn't the lock file
prohibit this kind of behavior? I am working on a solution that checks for
the .lock file before accessing and writing to roles.xml as I believe this
is the source of the error.

Kind regards,
Darell