Hi,

I appreciate this is an old thread, however I wanted to follow up on this
topic.

Scaling some data across 65635 values (plus one assigned to missing data)
and represented as 16-bit grayscale png image reachable via WMS would be
quite useful;

Yes, digital elevation models are an obvious use case.

No need to consider this as "raw data".

Possibly defined by something like this in my mapping:
<ColorMap type="ramp" extended="true" grayscale="true">
        <ColorMapEntry color="#000000" quantity="-300" label="label1"
opacity="1"/>
        <ColorMapEntry color="#00FFFF" quantity="200" label="label2"
opacity="1"/>
</ColorMap>

--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GeoServer-User-f3786390.html