From: Carlock, Brett [mailto:bcarl...@agrinetix.com]
Sent: Monday, August 6, 2018 5:57 PM
To: geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Geoserver-users] Newly added layers not rendering with GeoServer
2.13.2

Hello again!

I used the F12 Developer Tools in Edge to investigate the difference between a
Good request against a layer I know works versus a Bad request against one of
the newly added layers, and have attached a 7z archive of the two HAR (JSON)
logs to this reply. This website can be used to visualize the HAR logs nicely:
http://www.softwareishard.com/har/viewer/

>From my limited understanding, the Good Request proceeds as I assume it
>normally would, and after I click the toggle button to load the layer in our
>UI, it makes a series of GET WMS requests which return PNG tiles. This is how
>I believe things should go, and the layer draws just fine.

When I read the Bad request, it proceeds pretty much exactly the same as the
Good request up until the point where I toggle the layer on with the checkbox
in our UI. The log stops there. Absolutely nothing happens, which I suppose
makes sense given that I observed no information about a failure in the logs
for geoserver/Tanuki wrapper, and the files seem to not be malformed.

The only other thing of note I observed in the F12 Developer Tools is this log
entry in the Console:
0: AssertionError: Assertion failed. See
https://openlayers.org/en/v4.6.4/doc/errors/#25 for details.
The error description reads as follows: (25: Cannot fit empty extent provided
as geometry.)

This error shows up before I interact with our website UI in any way, and does
not seem to impact whether or not a layer draws as it is present before I turn
on known-good working layers.

Does this definitively mean that the issue lies with our OpenLayers UI, or am I
not fully understanding how these systems interact yet?

Thank you all so much for your time and assistance, and especially thanks to
Daniel for pointing me in the direction to take a closer look at what is going
on.

Brett

Instructions/Reply from Daniel quoted below:
"Hi Brett,
if the tiles do not show up on your website, the first thing to try would be
checking the requested URLs and the response from the server. Press the "F12"
key in your browser or open "Developer Tools" from the menu and switch to the
"Network" tab. Reload the page or zoom/pan the map and the tile requests should
be listed. Look out for differences in the URLs of tiles of working and broken
layers and also check the HTTP status code for "200 OK" or "304 Not Modified"
with would be fine or "500 Server Error" in case of problems on the server. A
look in the details of a single request might be interesting too, are valid
pictures returned (Content-Type, Content-Length)? Maybe the server is
responding properly but the images are blank/transparent.
You could also install a tool like "Fiddler" and redirect the traffic of QGIS
to the Fiddler proxy to be able to compare the successful requests of QGIS with
the unsuccessful requests of the website client.
Let us know what you found out.
Regards
Daniel"