Yes, the ocean shape file is one I use when I teach performance
optimization.

option a) easy draw your map with background color the same as you would
your ocean

option b) make a whole world rectangle and draw it behind your other
content

option c) process the ocean - simplify for when you are zoomed out - and
then process into smaller polygons for when you are zoomed in

In this case process the data into smaller multi polygons
--
Jody Garnett