Hi,

If I understood correctly ... you should be able to do that.

I guess you had a look at GeoServer documentation:
http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/styling/sld/extensions/rendering-transform.html#contour-extraction

That say, if possible you should share your current SLD file and the output you currently get.

Regards,

Nuno Oliveira