I am not sure we have a start jar (maybe for testing as a developer).

a) please download the WAR and install into an application server like
tomcat
b) for just trying it out please download the BIN package and then run with
something like:

On linux:

cd bin
./start.sh

On windows:

cd bin
start.bat

Environment variables are part of your operating system, in the control
panel on windows.