Ciao Devon,
quick answer, andrea will provide more.

We have implemented something similar a few times in the past for
clients specific customizations so we have a pretty clear idea on what
to do.
First thing, GeoServer is already able to mosaic raster in different
CRS but at an higher level, inside the streaming renderer which leans
onto the streaming renderer for reprojecting.

Bring this at a lower level is challenging if we want to keep both
performance and quality or at least if we want to be able to control
them. If I had to suggest something right now, I would suggest to
group them by source CRS then mosaick them and then reproject each
mosaic to the target CRS so that raster data in the same CRS with
different resolutions can be handled separately.

Let's see what andrea says...

Putting this on the table upfront, don't come up with a PR that will
touch 1k files  (i.e impossible to review) without having discussed
the approach before because it will hardly be accepted.
No intent to be a showstopper, I'd like this functionality to get in
but you are biting on an hard candy trying to implement it.

Regards,
Simone Giannecchini
==
Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.
==
Ing. Simone Giannecchini
@simogeo
Founder/Director

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:     +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39  333 8128928

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003
nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate.
Il loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del
messaggio, per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora
riceviate questo messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo
cortesemente di darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla
distruzione del messaggio stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema.
Conservare il messaggio stesso, divulgarlo anche in parte,
distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od utilizzarlo per finalità
diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai principi dettati dal
D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely
for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be
confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of
privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New
Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any
disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either
dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except
previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by
telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message
that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty
or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent
messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they
were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail
transmission, viruses, etc.