Hi Niels,

I would be happy to work on this together with you.  Sounds like we have
a similar situation of "would like it but can't justify the work right
now" :)  I will talk to my boss tomorrow and see if I can use some time
to progress this in the near future.

It's been a while since I looked at this, but from memory:

The axes' data are being read fine by netcdf-java, but when the geotools
reader parses the file looking for quantities that are eligible for
axes, it does not consider anything that is not one-dimensional, thus
discarding the true axes in the two-dimensional axis files.

The solution that I had mapped out in my head (that's as far as it got)
would be to capture the eligible zero dimensional quantities
(rlat,rlon), check for matching two dimensional quantities and if they
exist, make them eligible as axes as well. It would require some
reworking or extension of the axis definitions as they have a bunch of
code checking for regularity which would have to be completely
reimagined for two-dim files.

I only really got as far as the investigation and conceptual stage, so
there may of course be other complications that I haven't discovered
yet.  Also I'm not a netcdf expert ( my first main investigation of the
format was this exercise), so you may be able to improve on this!

Kind regards

Iain

On 12/10/2016 11:13 p.m., Niels Charlier wrote:
> Hello Iain,
>
> Thank you for your response.
> It looks like I might need to work on this as well. Perhaps we can
> work on it together. But we are still investigating whether we really
> need it or not, so I will let you know.
> I would like to know what you found out in your investigation stage
> about the problem. I would expect that changes need to be made to
> netcdf-java to support it as well?
>
> Kind Regards
> Niels
>
> On 05-10-16 11:55, Iain Matcham wrote:
>> Hi Niels,
>>
>> I did start the work, but then it got down-prioritised at my end, so I
>> never got much part the preliminary investigation stage.
>>
>> As there had been no indication of any interest from my original email
>> to the list, once my management decided other things were more important
>> I didn't push to keep going on this.  But if this is a feature that you
>> or others think is worthwhile I am more than happy push my management to
>> be allowed to continue my work on this.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Iain
>>
>> On 5/10/2016 10:18 p.m., Niels Charlier wrote:
>>> Hello Iain,
>>>
>>> Did you ever carry out your plans to support two dimension coordinate
>>> variables?
>>>
>>> Kind Regards
>>>
>>> Niels

Sent from my ZX80