Hejhej,
using the classes ShapeFileIndexer and FidIndexer I've been able to create
feature and tree indices for an instance of IndexedShapefileDataStore so
that corresponding method isIndexed returns true.

I was also able to extract the generated rtree using the according
constructor and the tree file (GRX-extension).

However when searching the index with a given envelope it returns a list of
Data-elements and I have no clue at all what to do with them.

Here's the code hitherto:

// IndexedShapefileDataStore idx already created...

RTree r = new RTree(new FileSystemPageStore(treeIndexFile));

FeatureSource ftSource = idx.getFeatureSource(idx.getTypeNames()[0]);
FeatureIterator ftIterator = ftSource.getFeatures().features();
Feature ft = ftIterator.next();

// List<Data> neighbors = new ArrayList<Data>();
List neighbors = r.search(ft.getBounds()); // returns a list of Data
elements

// what to do know?

My objective is to use the rtree-index to speeden up the search for
neighbors in a polygon layer... However I can't make any sense of the
information (basically integer or long numbers) contained by the retrieved
data elements... Can anybody give me hint?

Thank you very much in advance.
Regards,
Markus