Dear Colleagues:

We are pleased to announce the publication of a blog commentary symposium on
"Climate Change and Public Administration." This symposium is published by
Public Administration Review (PAR) in its "Speak Your Mind" initiative.  You
can find the Table of Contents here:
https://publicadministrationreview.org/speak-your-mind-climate-change-symposium/

This is an open access website; simply click on the article to access it.

This symposium showcases 20 blog commentaries, with word count ranges from
800-1,000 words (with embedded bibliographies, tables, and graphs). The
power/beauty of this format is that it allows scholars to convey powerful ideas
in an accessible way. The hope is the blog-commentary approach will allow
scholars to engage with multiple audiences outside their subfields, and
hopefully influence the public discourse on climate policy.

These commentaries examine exciting ideas such as:

- the claim that cities can pick up the policy slack after the US withdrawal
from the 2015 Paris Accord,
- why cities focus on specific types of environmental issues over others,
- how simple behavioral interventions can facilitate adaptation to heat waves,
- pros and cons of emission trading and market-based mechanisms,
- why environmental groups might oppose a carbon tax,
- the challenges in relocating communities affected by sea level rise,
- how inter-linkages among local governments influence climate policy adoption
and efficacy.

In terms of process, we posted the Call for Submissions on multiple listservs
and on PAR’s website. Eventually, we received 39 pitches: 21 had women as
authors or co-authors;  11 were from scholars working in non-US institutions.
Given the excellent quality of these pitches, we decided to publish 20 blog
commentaries (14 of which have women as authors or co-authors; 5 of them are
from scholars located in non-US institutions).

Thanks to Jim Perry, editor-in-chief of PAR,  PAR’s “Speak Your Mind”
initiative is hosting probably the first blog symposium of its kind in social
sciences. We would also like to note the enormous effort Paige Settles, PAR
editorial assistant, has put into designing article layouts and facilitating
the web-based production process.

Finally, we believe that this sort of blog format can serve as an excellent
pedagogical tool. For example, professors could ask students to comment on
specific blog-commentaries, or illustrate a specific idea introduced in a
commentary with an empirical example. Students’ comments could be posted on
PAR’s website to allow all PAR readers to engage with them.

You are welcome to post your comments on the PAR website.

We hope to undertake similar initiatives in the future. If you have suggestions
on how we can do better, please email us  (as...@uw.edu, ni...@uw.edu)

Regards,

Nives Dolsak & Aseem Prakash

Aseem Prakash
Professor, Department of Political Science
Walker Family Professor for the College of Arts and Sciences
Founding Director, UW Center for Environmental Politics
39 Gowen Hall, Box 353530
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3530

http://faculty.washington.edu/aseem/