Dear colleagues

It seems extraordinary that only in 2013 when we published our book ‘Trade
Unions and the Green Economy’ (Nora Räthzel and David Uzzell, Routledge, 2013),
we could write –

“The fact that labour studies and environmental studies are separate spheres of
research serves to reinforce the failure of researchers to appreciate the
importance of their reciprocal significance and contribution. This shortcoming
has been carried through to the lecture theatre. It is extremely rare for
academic courses on the environment and climate change to discuss issues of
labour. Likewise, there are few courses on labour that explore the implications
of climate change for working conditions and labour rights.”

Since then there has been a significant growth in research as well as courses
on Environmental Labour Studies. As a result of this growing interest, we -
Nora Räthzel, Dimitris Stevis and David Uzzell - are planning a Handbook on
Environmental Labour Studies. This will explore the way in which nature and
labour are intrinsically linked and equally threatened by globalising Capital
as well as the role of trade unions and workers’ movements worldwide in
addressing environmental degradation and climate change. We want it to be a
valuable resource for students and teachers in this area

We know from talking to colleagues that this subject is now becoming an
important topic on many courses throughout the world in geography, political
ecology, politics, sociology, environmental studies and labour studies, and
others.  We are trying to collect a list of this courses in order to
demonstrate to the publisher that such a book is useful and necessary.  Do you
know of any courses which include the teaching of some aspects of environmental
labour studies?  If you can write and give us any information (if possible, a
link to the syllabus), we would be very grateful.

Should you be interested in writing a chapter in such a handbook please inform
us and let us know what your particular interest and contribution would be.

Kind regards.

Dimitris

Dimitris Stevis
Professor